Thursday 23 August 2007

A Brit infestation and a Norwegian Girl

It was funny saying goodbye to St Louis. I'd spent 8 days there, the longest I've spent in any one place while travelling till this point and the place had grown on me. I was sorry to have to say goodbye to the place and its people and had that strange feeling of leaving somewhere you know and headed again for the unknown.

My first flight in the US was a funny one, a plane taking no more than about 60 people, you could feel every movement and every turn in your stomach, something I've never had before. Fortunately it was only an hours flight to Nashville.

The hostel itself was pretty laid back, no one was there to check me in so a Scottish lass who was staying there and was at college for a while In Nashville showed me to my dorm. The place is pretty small and the only hostel in Nashville. One thing struck me immediately - It was full of Brits! They've never known it like it apparently but somewhere in the region of three quarters of the hostel population was British! I met a couple of English guys who had been road tripping together through the US and one, Lewis, was following a similar rtw path to me. They all seemed like a decent bunch and we agreed to meet up later and go out.

Later a bunch of us got chatting outside the hostel and we all ended up piling into 3 cabs and going downtown to some bars. My first taste of the Nashville nightlife was bizarre. We hit up 3 or 4 bars that night, country music filled the places we entered. Not knowing much about it at all I just went with it.




As the evening progressed I watched a rather entertaining moment unfold. One of the English guys had latched on to a rather stunning looking Norwegian girl. Now she'd been drinking most of the afternoon and evening and wasn't in too good shape. Still she knew what she wanted - The most expensive drink on the menu and yep, the English guy was going to pay for it. back at the table she proceeded to lose her balance and knock the drink flying all oer herself and a couple of others. Nice work! Even nicer was the way she proceeded to blame a couple from Leicester (Jon and Jo) for her work. They, of course, had done nothing wrong yet still made an apology. She wouldn't hear of this, called her a bitch and went off in a huff. Seriously I wouldn't want to be with someone so stuck up themselves like that, no matter how beautiful they are!

I returned to the hostel with Jon and Jo and was almost delighted to hear stories of the Norwegian lass puking her guts up, leaving the English guy to wonder what on earth went wrong! Can you say "just desserts?".

No comments: