Friday 31 August 2007

Music City!

Live music may have been the core of my time in Nashville but there was plenty of other things going on as well. As American Cities go Nashville has a fairly compact feeling to it and is pretty easy to walk around getting from place to place.

With the Country Music Festival in town, things were going on all over the place. Live music was of course everywhere but that aside there were funfairs and shows, free gifts and competitions to enter. I've never seen pain killers given out on the street before and I have to admit being a little baffled by the concept!

Among the entertainment was the MLB roadshow. I passed by the batting cage and saw people pitching against the speed gun. I nervously watched for a while before plucking up the courage to have a go myself. Needless to say its not as easy as it looks. It certainly isn't like throwing a cricket ball. My first few pitches wound up a mile off the strike zone and although I did end up getting it a little closer, a 55mph fastball isn't likely to see me into the majors any time soon! I wasn't going to leave without having a swing of the bat too! Obviously there were people doing this who knew what they were doing. It seems like every kid at least learns some parts of the sport. Me, I'd never done this before and know what I know from watching it. Playing it is a different matter entirely. After a couple of swings and misses I did get the hang of it and was pleased just to be making contact with the balls that were coming at me (on what was probably the lowest speed). Whether I was crap or not didn't really matter to me, I'd finally had a go at it and had great fun in doing so!


In a place known as "Music City" there's more music to it than just the live variety. Record Companies, recording studios and offices fill whats known as Music Row - A section just outside the downtown area chock full of industry buildings. Indeed, artists come to Nashville to both record and play here. for many its a dream realised when they finally do. One such example was stying at my hostel. A guy called Lawrence had brought himself, his music and his guitar for the festival. You could see by the look in his eye that the whole thing had engulfed him. It seemed to turn a confident man into a nervous, bewildered one. Perhaps it was the realisation that there was so much talent here already or that his songs just might not cut it. Whatever it was the enthusiasm seemed to drain within a few days. Had it been me I would have wanted to be out there playing wherever and whenever I could and I got the impression he had come with such intentions but what I saw was a man afraid it seemed by what he was witnessing and awestruck by the experience.

I went to experience Music Row for myself, to see first hand the other heart of Nashville. Its impressive for sure. Building after building housing studio after studio interspersed with Record Company Headquarters or offices. Giant guitars surrounded many of the buildings, with road names dedicated to the great artists of yesteryear. There's no doubt that this City lives up to its billing!




Nashville is also home to a rather bizarre replica of the Parthenon. It seems so much out of place amidst everything else here. Set away in Centennial Park, just a few minutes walk from the hostel its place is not a natural one. It was designed as an exact replica of the Greek structure to go with Nashville's billing as the "Athens of The South". Now, I'm not entirely sure where that came from. There seems to be very little evidence of anything in this City being Greek at all, this building aside of course.



My three days in Nashville turned into five in the end. I had a real feel for the place. Its addictive in so many ways. The atmosphere and vibe of the place is relaxed, polite yet party filled. Its people and those visiting were friendly and welcoming and the ability to listen to live music all day, every day is bliss. The beer flowed, the music rolled and my time flew! Heck I was even doing the "Holla and Swalla" like a local by the time I left (if you're not sure what on earth that is, see the pic below. Raise your glass, scream your head off "Holla" and then drink your beer "Swalla" - Easy really)! Nashville, I WILL be back one day!

No comments: