Wednesday 19 December 2007

Time to be The Tourist

Vancouver may have been a break from the norm but I was determined not to leave here without seeing some of the sights, and so it was that Anne and I set about a 10KM walk to take in as much as possible!

I'd so nearly stumbled upon an area of Vancouver I was best away from had it not been for Anne, even in a somewhat intoxicated state, steering me away from the danger zone I was unwittingly about to enter. Our late night stroll so nearly going horrible wrong. Hopefully now it was time to see a better side of Vancouver!

Its a strange feeling being guided around, I wasn't used to it. I always had in my head places I wanted to see or things I wanted to do. Maps would be out and I'd be out with a purpose. Here it was different. I had no idea what I wanted to see, or where I was even going, I was simply following someone else. The brain work left at home for once. I was a nice feeling but somewhat unnerving.

I was visiting sights I had seen pictures of before, my parents having visited the area only a year previous. English Bay Beach looked nothing like I had imagined, maybe it was the bad weather but as beaches go a disappointment, yet it had its own sense of the tranquil.


Stanley Park our backdrop as we passed the famed Inukchuk, an Inuit marker for safety, hope and friendship. Its symbol is currently being used in the logo for the Winter Olympic Games to be held in Vancouver in 2010.


We passed important bridges and navigated our way through the park winding up with an impressive view of the Vancouver skyline, the reward for completing the lengthy walk. I'd also managed to spot Darth Bear a little earlier in town too, a warm feeling of completion waved over me.






It certainly wan all Vancouver had to offer, it was however, a great overview and a chance to finally take a few snaps of the place. I left Vancouver with a smile on my face, knowing I had far from seen it all, hoping one day I might return.

No comments: