Tuesday 3 November 2009

Party Time!!

I love it when a plan comes together! Here I was in Portland, I'd caught my timing perfectly as I descended upon my friend Tiff's house for a few nights to coincide with our friends graduation party. It seems bizarre to call people I have met just once or twice or in some cases never before, friends, but it all clicks so effortlessly that you'd think we'd all known each other for years. As it is, the wonderful world of Bootsnall has a lot to answer for.

Its here in Portland that the website calls home - and what a home Portland is! A pleasant City of meandering streets and rivers, a relaxed (almost horizontal) vibe, cool bars and eateries and one of the best book shops in the world (thankyou Powells for overloading me!) and all set to the backdrop of Mt Hood. It may not have the allure of a New York or a Boston but Portland offers something special of its own that kept me here far longer than originally itended!

It was refreshing to almost have a break here for a while. Staying at Tiffs I had soeme genuine time away from hostel dorms and an almost normal life for a while. I caught up on jobs, got my hair cut and took a break from being on the road. I umwound and relaxed and discovered Portland in a very different way than I would have had I bunked up in a dorm again.



I was already falling in love with this part of the world before being taken out to the Oregon coast. Suffice to say that any doubts I ever had about this area were put to rest on a journey through small towns, winding roads, great forrests and finally at the ocean. WOW!

We found ourselves in a tiny spot called Pacific City, a place so off the beaten track that you'd need a damn good map of the area just to find it! I'm glad we did though!! A breathtaking vista broke through as we made our way towards the sand. Waves cashed against an endless coastline, sand dunes rose on one side of us and a rock out to see gave it all some perspective. This was not your turquoise seas of the Caribbean or Thailand, this was rugged coastline with an overwhelming beauty. Oh and if that wasn't enough, a microbrewery sits proudly at the back of the sand, ready to serve you local delights as you enjoy the stunning surrounds. You would think a place so utterly charming as this would attract hoards of visitors, the fact is beyond the locals no one would even know this place exists. I'll be back again one day of that I'm sure, whether I can find the place again is another matter altogether!






Pictures tell the best story of the Party. Good times were had, too much beer was drunk (I cant belive I ended up on PBR!!) and friendships cemented. Thankyou everyone for truly memorable time.






And thanks to Tiff for putting up with me for well over a week!!

I'll be back PDX.

No comments: