Tuesday 3 July 2007

A Day At Wrigley!

Speak to any baseball fan and they'll tell you that one of the great places to catch a game is at Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs (the enemy as far as a Cardinals fan is concerned). Its a place with a history and Wrigley attracts a certain kind of fan, those who just want a good day out and hence the atmosphere there is legendary! The place is talked about with a gleam in the eye or a desire to one day get the chance to do what I was now doing...enter the gates and go catch a Cubs home game.

The day certainly hadn't gone to plan, at least to begin with. I'd planned to go to the game with Cindy and she'd decided to take far longer than was actualy needed at the Internet cafe, meaning we were much later than I'd wanted to be turning up. It was Memorial Day Weekend so it was always going to be busy what we hadn't expected was to be told that there were only restricted view tickets left. As we pondered our misfortune we were called back to the girl at the box office who told us that 2 tickets behind home plate had just come available and did we want them. They were $40 a pop and that was quite a lot more than I had planned to spend but these opportunities come up so rarely and I was here to catch some baseball so, I stumped up may cash and was in.

The tickets were even better than expected! How we had come to get these seats will always be a mystery but here I was sat behind home plate, just a few rows back from the pitch, right in the heart of the action! The guy next to us had brought his kid up from Indiana to catch the game. Its strange how we think that travelling 5 or 6 hours to a game (an away game at that) at home is a great distance whereas some of these guys travel that far just to watch their home side!



Cindy had turned from friendly girl at the hostel to Miss irritating. Constantly leaning over me, grabbing my arm, and jolting me every few seconds was becoming unbearable. It was nice to have the company but I honestly wished I'd come on my own! Fortunately I had to leave a little early and didnt get to see the last inning. As I left the Cubs were on top and looking likely to pick up the win.

I've never liked leaving before the end of any game let alone a one off such as this but I was due to meet Francesca, another Boots girl down in Little Italy for a few drinks and was already a little late. Getting a tad lost as I exited the subway didn't help either. I had a voicemail with all the directions I could ever need, unfortunately I couldn't access it! In the end luck struck and I found the place.

After spending 30 seconds looking nervously around me I was waved over to a rather large group of people. As it turned out, she had brought along her Sister, Sister's friends and brother along, and we were joined shortly afterwards by her parents. They were another great bunch and Francesca was as friendly as any Bootie I'd met so far. We had a few drinks at the bar (I got chucked a free Stella seemingly for being English) at the end of the evening. The Cubs meanwhile had managed to lose the game in the 9th!

From the pub we headed to Francesca's Sister's friend, Jen's house for a few more beers with Francesca leaving shortly afterwards and me remaining with the other girls. We didn't actually stay that much longer ourselves and I was driven back to Roosevelt Station by Angela, a girl who seemed down on her luck but with ah heart of gold. Its a shame I wont get to see any of them again - Accept Jen who agreed to meet me for brunch the following day.



Back at the hostel, who should I bump into but the 2 guys from the train journey from Boston to here. They had been upto Niagara and now buy chance were at the same hostel! Funny how it goes sometimes!

No comments: