Friday 20 July 2007

Rain!

The weather is a funny little bugger. It seems strange that something so unrelated to you, something so detached from what you are doing can have such a huge impact on how you feel about a place and what you end up doing.

Its summer, really it is. Summer in the Midwest. It should be 90 degrees or more already, yet in St Louis, it rains and just when you think its stopped raining.... It rains some more. Not quite what I had expected here!

I'd managed to get chatting to a lass from Bristol who was also staying at the hostel after I arrived back from the pub the first day and we had decided to head into town together in the morning. Our first port of call had been the library for a bit of free internetting. Unfortunately no one, not even the people on the desk as we spent 10 minutes register ring, told us that we needed to book our session. Somewhat annoyed we headed out of the library. As we were doing so someone called us back "If you wait till quarter past and someone doesn't show up you can get on the machine for 45 minutes". Apparently it happens all the time. We waited it out and sure enough we were on.

Claire and I then headed down towards Busch Stadium. I would get my first glimpses of the Cardinals new home, having moved into their new stadium (built half on the grounds of the old one) just this year. It was certainly impressive just to walk around the outside of it. A feeling of really having arrived sunk into me. I was here, I'd made it. Number 2 on the must see list was here right in front of me. I almost couldn't get enough of it. I couldn't wait to get inside and watch a game, although I knew I'd have to wait it out.




We had planned to go over to have a look at the Arch afterwards but the skies darkened and we knew immediately what was about to follow. The rains came, and we went and did our laundry. How I love the rain. Still, when you're away for any length of time, washing your clothes becomes a necessary part of your travel.

The following day our plans to head to the arch were scuppered once again by the rain, it came with avengence, this time, no laundry to do we decided to take up a recommendation and visit the City Museum.

Expecting to find all manner of St Lousian artifacts and info we were both somewhat stunned to find it basically a kids playground. Shell shocked but in need of the dry indoors we settled on having a coffee.

The rain went away, we headed on down to the Arch via Wallgreens where I picked up my much needed pair of flip flops and as we headed off from there, yep, the rains came again. Now rather pissed off with the weather, the Arch seeming to tell us it really didn't want our company, we grabbed a cab and went back to the hostel!

No comments: