Wednesday 4 July 2007

Get in My Belly!!!

One of those preconceived ideas that you have about the US is that they eat a lot of food...big portions are always served and its all about the big eat. Today, I uncovered the truth! Well, actually I didn't but I did get a glimpse of how it gets its reputation.

I'd met up with Jen as planned around midday, although her choice of location, in Addison, was probably not the wisest decision. Home of The Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field, scene of yesterdays madness, we had chosen to meet just before game time, meaning I was clamouring to hold tight to a spot on the pavement hoping to be noticed amongst teh thousands of Cub fans now swamping me. I passed the guy selling the "Cardinals fans take it up the Pujols" T-shirts and a mixed smirk come growl could be seen across my mutt. Fortunately for me, as A Cardinals fan, I stood out handsomely above the blue dullness of Chicago's North Side and was located by Jen.


So we set about the main purpose of meeting at this hour...brunch. An American thing that has turned popular the world over it would seem, I was ready to tuck into a heart dish of fatty goodness. The cafe/bar/restaurant that didn't really know what it actually wanted to be was located right by the El, allowing you top soak up the sound of trains every few minutes as they rattled past. It was, in essence, a true slice of America!

If names are anything to go by I was feeling a mistake had been made. I'd looked at what was included in the meal, but not its name, realising afterwards that anything called "The Hog" is probably a substantial eating experience. I wasn't to be disappointed. What was delivered to me prompted "now that deserves a photo!", a comment only used on those special occasions where mere words cant do it justice! Let me attempt the description...3 eggs, 3 pieces of bacon, a decent chunk of ham, 2 sausages, 2 big pieces of french toast, 3 pancakes all on top of a mound of cheesy potato. Now, I like my food but this was one of those rare occasions when the food beat me. I failed in my attempt to devour the lot and my body, I believe has thanked me ever since!

To try and alleviate the strain now being put on my belt we took a walk out and around Lincoln Park and the free zoo. As zoos go its not the greatest but its free and a decent hours entertainment.



We put the fun on hold for a while as I was enlisted to help install a newly purchased air con unit in Jen's new apartment. Whilst she was purchasing the air con units I was trying to find some pain relief for my shoulder which had been killing me all day, unfortunately it seems you cant buy any decent medical cream here...the nearest thing to an ibuprofen cream was some hot and cold cream whose strongest ingredient was menthol!

I'm not exactly known for my DIY skills but between us we manged to get two of these units fixed up nicely and followed it up the best way, by going for a beer! I was lucky enough to be driven all over and a nice trip up Lake Shore Drive was certainly worth it. I'm glad I got to do this, I'm not entirely sure why, its just something that had me quietly pleased.




Keeping the food tradition of the day up, the early evening brought me a cake batter ice cream in close contact with each other. Something I never thought I'd eat, in fact never even knew existed but hey, when in Rome and all that...It was actually pretty darn good!

No comments: