Tuesday 4 September 2007

All You Can Elvis

Beale Street maybe Downtown Memphis' big attraction but its slightly out of town superstar attraction is unquestionably the most visited tourist site in Tennessee. Graceland. Former home to Elvis. One of those rare superstars that need just the one name to be instantly recognisable.

I was always going to do it if I came to Memphis but learning that the most basic tour was priced at a staggering $33 was hardly music to a budget travellers ear. I would just have to suck it up and set off with Steve to explore all things Elvis. The tour itself gave us roughly 2 and a half hours to see everything and be back on the bus. Now when I say everything I mean the small portion of attractions that the basic ticket allows.

The key part of the deal though is covered. The mansion that was once home to "The King". Its smaller than you may think but jam packed with artifacts and a nifty audio tour (one of the best I've experienced) guides you through the various rooms. Having never been particularly into the man or his music it was interesting to learn about the man himself as I toured around. Its certainly an impressive place but only the most dedicated of fans would need more than a couple of hours to see it all.





Outside in what was essentially the back garden there was a tranquil vibe and an air of reflectiveness in the air as you passed by the pool where earlier video clips of a happy, full of life Elvis were being shown and onto the Presley family graves. This certainly gave me a lump in my throat and can only imagine what it must be like for those hardcore Elvis fans who make the pilgrimage here to pay tribute to their hero.



Feeling like we had covered the house we were left with just enough time to use the other available portion of our tickets and go take a quick look around Lisa Marie. I'm referring to Elvis' private jet before anyone gets the wrong impression! Whilst its certainly impressive and decked out to make the man feel like royalty its actually a little smaller than I had imagined once you get inside.


$33 lighter we headed back into town where an equally impressive experience befell us of an altogether different ilk! You've probably seen it on telly or in a film or heard stories of it somewhere but the giant steak challenge became a reality in Memphis. As I sat munching away on a somehow fatty looking salad a family entered the restaurant and took seat s just a table away. Giant beef challenge. I'd seen it on the menu. Complete the thing and all the trimmings in under an hour and earn your place on the wall of fame. Images of Bart trying to force feed Homer Simpson when no more meat would go down sprang to mind. Now here was a real life Homer, somewhat embarrassed family in tow as Dad ordered the mighty meat challenge. He'd even get his $19.99 for the meal should he complete it!

We didn't have the will to sit through the hour just to see if he could munch his way through a hefty four pounds of meat along with bread, fries and trimmings. I left smile on my mug that I had even had a chance to witness a true taste of Americana!

A trip to the Rock'n'Soul museum capped off the Memphis tourist trap day and again I felt somewhat disappointed. The place was fairly small and the exhibits mostly uninspiring. Coupled with what seemed like a never ending audio guide that wanted to keep talking at you like Cliff in Cheers it failed to set my world on fire.


Memphis as a whole had disappointed. Maybe I'd just fallen in love with Nashville and that had negatively impacted on my impression. It surely didn't help having to stay in a motel some distance out of town. I'd met several people along the way who had advised me that you really didn't need too long in Memphis. Some had done it as a day trip from Nashville to go and see Graceland and on reflection 2 nights would have been plenty. I decided to take it easy on my final day, making the most of my own room, some peace and quiet, a nice shower and a TV in my room. It was heaven to do for a day and helped recharge the batteries for a 5am start to get to New Orleans!

No comments: