Friday 14 September 2007

Opportunity Knocks

There's something relaxing about Albuquerque. Maybe its the lack of major tourist attractions, maybe its the incredible heat, maybe its the good beer, chance are its a combination of all the above along with a few other unknown mysterious factors that make you just want to kick back, have a beer and read a book.

I'd kept my brain ticking over by visiting more museums than you could shake a stick at, I'd also tried my hand at something a little new. Feeling like I should take up opportunities that present themselves. Such an opportunity was gifted to me whilst awaiting fellow hostelers in the Old Town Plaza. Ladies and Gents, I, Dave Dimmer took the Chance to have a go at playing the castanets. Don't worry, I didn't already know how to play, I along with 30 or so other castanet clickers were being taught just how to do it. Needless to say I wont be giving up the day job (yeah I know, I have to have one first) any time soon!! I may have been absolutely terrible and it is more than likely I would never have dreamt of doing this at home but this is part of what this trip is all about - Trying things you wouldn't normally get to, after all who here cares if I make a prat of myself?


I also took it upon myself to take advantage of being here in New Mexico by sampling some Mexican grub. Now, I've had my share of said food back home but there's nothing like trying it in a somewhat more traditional environment. Green chili burgers were advertised everywhere around here but I'd taken myself to a half decent restaurant to sample a proper meal and I'm glad I did! The taste is unquestionably different to similar food back home. I guess its what you'd expect but its only by sampling it for myself can I rant and rave about the real deal here with justification!

This was just about as much energy as I exerted here. I had to recover from my over exposure to the sun but maybe that proved to be a tad beneficial. Sitting outside, book in hand it was a real chance to unwind for a couple of days before I would be taking on Vegas! I could be sure there would be very little let up when I arrived there especially as I'd be there for the 4th of July festivities.

I may not have seen loads in Albuquerque but I'm glad I made it here. Its undoubtedly a very different side of the US and as I progress through this land I realise just how varied the Country is! Vegas next, and you can be damned sure thats going to be different again!

1 comment:

Julie said...

As someone born & bred in ABQ, I found it really interesting to read about it from your perspective. Even most Americans give it a bad rep but, once you figure out its vibe, it's really a (comparatively) unique place in the US - with the best food, hand down!