Wednesday 26 September 2007

No Words

I must admit I debated it! Looking on now I'm not sure quite what it was I was debating. II was always going to go but the money I'd been spending here in the US had been adding up and making this trip would be a large chuck of change out of the account again. Its the Grand Canyon though. How could I not?!

The pressure had been put on me straight away to make a decision about taking the trip. As I was checking in I was pretty much asked to make a decision there and then and whilst I would have loved time to debate and look around a various companies I was really short of time and committed myself to do it. It was, after all, on my "must do" list. When money's short though, decisions like this seem to weigh more heavily on your mind than you think they will.

Its not a short drive over the State border into Arizona and in order to get the most out of the day it was an early start and onto the bus at 6am. Part of my decision to take this particular tour (I was given some choices) was the inclusion of the Hoover Dam along the way. Its an impressive structure but the short stop was probably just about spot on. Unless your a hardened Dam fan you really dont need longer than 20-30 minutes to take it in. Besides the greater prize awaited beyond.



Before we'd even arrived at the Canyon the views were impressive all around. As we drove through the surprisingly green desert, hilly vistas swept before my eyes, Joshua Trees appeared on the roadside and the magic of the area swept around me. Bugs rebounded off the windscreen at a rate of knots causing a speckled mess I'd not seen rivalled before, or indeed, since. The slow traffic filled last mile or 2 were interjected with stories of Tarantulas and all manner of insect nasties that put the creeps into me somewhat, yet, secretly maybe, I half hoped to see one once I got in!



As you enter the park you start to wonder what all the fuss is about. Then it hits you, quite firmly straight between (and on) your eyes! A view that really no photo, no words, no movie can ever do justice too. Its simply something you HAVE to see for real. Stretching out before me, left and right was a scene that looked unreal. It just looks like it must be fake, a screen there, its just a sight that your brain cant compute is actually there, that exists.

I took my time walking along the South Rim track, trying to take it all in. Maybe its because you cant touch it or maybe your eyes cant adjust to the distances involved but even though you know its all real it still looks like a plastic recreation. I'd just sit on a rock for a few minutes trying to comprehend it. I couldn't, of course and I'm sure I had a glazed look of amazement over my face for the entire time i was there! Its simply stunning, no words can make it sounds any better than it is, just see it for yourself!






Wildlife is also plentiful and all around you, I don't think I managed to truly appreciate it as my jaw on the ground facial expression and mind boggling thoughts were taking up most of my brain power. You could easily spend days here, let alone a few hours! My time at the Grand Canyon came to an end in amusing style as the rather friendly squirrels seem to pose just for me!






The day could have ended there and I'd have been more than content but as we drove back down Route 66 towards Las Vegas once again, I would catch sight of views out of the front of our coach, classic images of the open road ahead, and with the sun setting it seemed to just be perfect! If I could capture an essence, this would have been it!

So I'd spent my money, I'd had my day and boy was it worth every last Cent! You can see the Canyon on your TV set, read about it in a book or view pictures of it on the internet but none of these will ever do it justice. Its simply magical!

No comments: