Friday 7 September 2007

Sometimes you just Marvel!

Its not all that often that you come across inventions or just ideas that you marvel at but here In new Orleans they had a couple of them! The first was something I'd initially seen out in Memphis. I had to double check to see if what I was looking at was indeed what my eyes were telling me it was! Whilst down on Beale Street we'd passed a place that appeared to be a bar, selling drinks out of what appeared to be mini washing machines. Now if that doesn't make you do a double take, very little probably will!

Now here I was in New Orleans, taking in Bourbon Street and the French Quarter when what should we pass but another washing machine extravaganza. Whilst my eyes had now adjusted to seeing such a sight those I was with certainly hadn't! There was no doubt in anyones mind what was going to happen next.

The washing machines were housed in a bizarre looking place. Not quite a bar but not quite a cafe, it didn't really seem to know what it was. It did however know what it was selling. Cocktails and daiquiris straight out of these funny looking washing machine contraptions. These thing would churn around their variously and imaginatively named alcoholic slush puppies and a cup would be poured direct from it. An icy, sludge of a drink, cold as hell and rather lively in the alcohol department they were as much of an experience as the place itself. I dont think I'd go crazy to have another one but when you see something like that, you cant help but want to try it! There's no doubt that we'd just taken in one bizarre but somewhat unique experience!


Even better ideas were afoot at India House, my chosen hostel for the duration of my stay in the Big Easy. Shortly after arriving I'd heard a voice "Hey, how ya doing?" There was no doubt the tone was familiar. Darren and Lewis, two of the English lads I'd met in Nashville were also currently residing here, I had a feeling this wouldn't be the last time I bumped into someone I'd met at an earlier point on this trip. It was hanging around in the outside communal area that I noticed ingenious idea number 2.

There was quite a large crowd of us, nattering and drinking away the early evening when my failure to make a visit to a supermarket or liquor store had resulted in me having a lack of beer. Low and behold I was informed of the machine sat not 10 meters away from me. "Just go get one out of there." I looked on to see a coke machine. "Umm...I was really after a beer." I was instructed to take a somewhat closer look at aforementioned machine.

Beer. Lots of it. Not a can of coke in sight. This was indeed a beer dispensing coke machine. Awesome! Whilst its beer selection may not be about to set the world on fire it had what was needed. No need to go out, no need to do anything. Just whack a dollar in the thing, and take out a nice cold can of cheep American Beer. There was now no need to worry about beer running out or coming back from a night out a fancying a beer only to not have any. Right here we had the perfect solution on hand.



I look forward with interest on the next brilliant idea I may come across!

No comments: