Tuesday 12 June 2007

The Bootie, The Beer and The Bouncer

Tracy arrived at the hostel around 7.45pm and we sped off into town taking a few scenic routes along the way. Some of the views of Boston were pretty impressive but unfortunately it wasn't possible to just stop in the middle of the road to take a photo! Still, I had my little guided tour before we pulled up (struggling to find somewhere to park) and walked to the bar she'd chosen.

Normally making a beer drinking decision is pretty easy, however this was not the case here. Sat at the bar, to my right I noticed a wall full of beer taps giving you the option of some 60 plus beers on tap and a further 100 or so by the bottle. I didn't even know where to begin. At home its normally a choice or 2 or 3 lagers or a selection of 2-3 ales and that's it. I honestly didn't have a clue so turned to Tracy and the barman for a little pointer.

I wound up with a pint of blueberry beer which I think sounds far worse than it actually tasted. Bot so much blueberry coloured or particularly strong in the fruity flavour department it was a lager with blueberries floating up and down inside it. Quite bizarre but actually pretty tasty.

Blueberry beer drinking experienced and food now eaten it was time to liven things up a bit. Tracy had a friend DJing at a club across the street so we agreed to go spend the rest of the night in there. Our plans however we scuppered by an annoying bouncer and some ludicrous Mass. State laws. I was denied entry to the club for not having correct ID. Now here in Massachusetts they will only accept an instate drivers licence or passport. Now, I'm not a lo9cal so that means its passport or nothing and be blowed if I'm carrying the single most important document I have around with me on a drunken night out!! I had many other forms of ID including my picture drivers licence but the bouncer who could clearly see I wasn't under 21 denied me entry even though he knew Tracy. Not saying its the bouncers fault but it was one of those moments that makes me think how idiotic some of the laws are in the US. They're so self centred its untrue! LIFE DOES EXIST OUTSIDE OF YOUR COUNTRY YOU KNOW!!

I could sense Tracy wasn't too happy but maybe that was half due to the amount of alcohol that she'd consumed through the night. I wont say how much, just that I thought it was somewhat excessive for someone who was driving! It seems the drink drive thing isn't played up in any where near the same manner as it home. Somehow here it seems accepted and part of life whereas back in the UK its something that is driven into you from a young age.

We decided to try our luck at another place out in Cambridge where Tracy new the bouncer and gave him a quick call to see if he would let us in. Unfortunately it wasn't him on the door when we got there and I fully expected to be rejected, at 28, from a bar for the 2nd time that night. However things went our way and my drivers licence was enough to secure ourselves a spot inside.

The club was typically cheesy with some songs you wouldn't even dare play at home now but the crowd here seemed to lap it up and Tracy not wanting to be outdone by Kathryn and Rachel and the babies bottle in New York had me up dancing on the tables! Brilliant fun!

Maybe in the end it worked out for the best. I was comfortable in a club like this, not too big, bit of cheesy music, some good indie tunes as well, good company, some nice beer and a whole lot of singing and dancing! Tracy dropped me back at the hostel which must have been a bit out of her way but was hugely appreciated and I knew the morning wouldn't exactly bring the earliest of starts!

No comments: