Monday 4 June 2007

The Famous Incident of The Three Scots

The evening had been spent meeting my first Booties of the trip in a place called the Peculiar Pub down in Greenwich Village. Kathryn and Rachel, both of whom call New York City home, were absolutely lovely. Typical Booties in every way, full of conversation and very welcoming.

Between us we sampled several of the 100+ beers on the menu at the Peculiar. Initially being issued with a list of countries. Under each country, a selection of their finest! Who could resist a round the world beer night! I forget some of the beers I tried that night, although I know I sampled Dos Equis, a Mexican favourite here in the US, for the first time.

We agreed to meet again before I headed off to Boston and with them both having work in the morning we departed at a decent hour. I wound up back at the hostel and joined a bunch back there for a few more beers and in doing so wound up agreeing to go catch the Yankees game tomorrow! I was positively buzzing when I went to bed!

My satisfying sleep was broken however by the return to my dorm of the 3 Scottish guys staying there. Now, its a hostel, a dorm room in the heart of Manhattan, you EXPECT there to be some noise. That kinda comes with the territory. What you DON'T expect is to witness Chelsea International Hostel's first ever Pukeathon.

Around 4am the three lads returned, unknown to me at the time was that they were celebrating a birthday, so a few minutes later there's a fair bit of crashing going on, someone walking into a wall, crashing on the floor and then someone letting loose the nights beer in the bathroom. Within a couple of minutes I can hear the oh so pleasant sound of yakking coming from just outside our front door. 2 of them, in tandem now.

Moments later and there's a third puking noise joining the other 2. But, hold on, so this one isn't coming from outside, it isn't coming from the bathroom but it IS coming from nearby. Yep, Scotsmen number 3 is giving the bedsheets a beautiful coating of carrots and peas. In unison then the 3 set about their pukathon leaving me trying not to join them as I'm struggling to push away the stench that's now circulating!

I did fall to sleep in the end of course, the puking did stop and the boys were busy cleaning when I awoke. The story though would NOT die. That would live on, already doing the rounds in the hostel before I had even surfaced. I hope one day I'll go back and someone will tell me about the famous incident of the three Scots!

No comments: