Wednesday 20 June 2007

Th Green Monster and the Finns

Back in England the Boston Red Sox are probably the 2nd most known (and supported) team in Major League Baseball, teh Yankees probably edge them out of the top spot. So today I got my chance to See the famous Fenway Park. Home of Boston's finest and, of course, of the famous Green Monster, the giant 37 foot wall in left field, famed for keeping some big hits going for home runs.

Unfortunately the BoSox weren't playing at home during my stay and the upcoming series against the Yankees had been a complete sell out weeks ago so no point sticking around waiting to see a game. Instead I ventured down under my own steam to go check the place out.

I had been hoping to take a tour of the stadium but after locating the stadium, no one seemed to be around and no tours seemed to be being sold. I had to settle for a mooch around the outside. The Green Monster certainly dominates the stadium, and you cant help but get the feeling that this really is the pride and joy of Boston, something in the air around the place, I'm not sure but there is something special about it.

I was disappointed that I didn't get to see more but satisfied that I had at least seen the place and taken a few quick piccies outside (including a nice little sign that seemed to amuse me for a while - "Beer Works", something I've often said!



My baseball fix catered for it was off to see more of Bostons attractions. A walk down Newbery Street was pleasant if uninspiring (thanks mainly to not being able to afford virtually anything on offer!).

A walk back through the common via the vastly overpriced swan boats was I guessed an essential part of Bostonia and, again, a nice enough walk to lead me back to the subway and ready for the lengthy trip back to the hostel.




Wondering what to do for the evening I happened to meet two Finns who had just moved into my dorm. I definitely took a shine to the girl I have to say but figured she was with the guy. Apparently not, as she was quick to point out later on when she accepted my invitation to go for a few drinks. Meanwhile I'd met a Geordie called Deg who was going to come along as well. The more the merrier as far as I was concerned!

There was, of course, only really one place to go, back to our restaurant/bar and we settled down to a few beers and I got the chance to have a good chat with Nea, who, it seemed was pretty impressed with my knowledge of their Ice Hockey team and that I could speak a couple of words of Finnish (thanks Pilvi!).

We wound up back at the hostel and her travelling companion, seemingly a tad drunk was challenging people to an arm wrestle. I guessed he liked her and was feeling somewhat jealous but it had the opposite effect of its intended one and soon he was in bed while the two of us were getting comfy in the common room.

Eventually we said our goodbyes, she was leaving in the morning, a shame but that's life on the road. People drift in and out of your life quick as can be, some you get on well with, others you dont, some you'll probably stay in touch with but whatever it is, its often a day or 2, maybe as long as a week and then its on to meet the new.

As the clocked started ticking well into the night I was still up and meeting new people already. Deg had met a couple of girls while I was with Nea and was now introducing me. I, apparently was married to one of them. A story created to get a creep who'd been pestering them off their backs. It seemed to work and in the mean time the 4 of us got on well enough to half arrange doing something the following day.

No comments: