Wednesday 20 June 2007

Boston's Hidden Gems!

The girls last night had wanted to try and get out to Cape Cod today but with weather the way it had been I was far from convinced about going. We met in the morning anyway and it had transpired that their plans had changed anyway and instead they were going to head down to the Prudential Tower to go up to the viewing platform.

Now, I had my Top 10 Boston guidebook, and NOWHERE did it mention any such thing! Actually I hadn't heard it even mentioned before today. So, my conclusion (mostly jokingly ) was that if it wasn't in my Top 10 Boston then it clearly wasn't worth doing. So, of course, I went.


It was kinda nice not to have a plan of action, to just follow on in behind. I'd already become so used to thinking my day through , planning what I wanted to do, it was nice to have someone else lead the way and just go with the flow. The three girls (yes, there was an extra one who'd gone missing last night), Deg and I got on really well and I know I had a great deal of fun spending the day with them all.


The trip to the top of the prudential tower was very much worth it! I'd recommend that the next edition of Top Ten Boston include this most excellent tourist attraction! The views from the top gave you a nice overview of the City, it would have been an ideal starting point to do on the first day but as it is, its nearly my last and I still think its really worth while. Some excellent views of Fenway from up the top too!

I ended up going back over some old ground as the girls wanted to see some of the Freedom Trail and Emelie, the Swedish girl, wanted to go to the Cheers Bar. The others had no idea what we were talking about which made for some bizarre conversations but they all seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Back to Quincy market to sample some of the food and we got a glorious chance to listen to the man we dubbed "Mr Quincy Market" to sing some old kids classics in a Johnny Cash stylee! If he'd had a CD it would be in my collection by now! At the market Anja said he goodbyes and we were down to just 4 or us.

SO the remaining four headed off in search of the Boston Tea Party boat that, we found, after walking around for what seemed like hours, wasn't where we thought it would be and with time ticking we had a mad rush back to the train station so the girls could catch their Chinatown bus back to New York. It was a shame to say goodbye, friendships had developed and I hoped I'd stay in touch with Emelie.


Down to just 2 now, time for beer!! The streets around the centre of town and the bars seemed overly busy, it seemed Tool were in town and tonight's gig had attracted a decent crowd! We decided to try a few side streets before we headed to a bar that seemed to have some live music and a decent noise going on. Did we ever pick the best bar!!!

The Littlest Bar is not only the coolest spot in town, its without doubt the smallest too! Its named for a very good reason it would seem! Inside there was barely room for 50 people and teh place was jammed, a guy (Scott Damguard) was playing in the corner and the crowd were roaring along with him! With him, he had a book of over 500 songs you could ask him to play, and the song selection suited the place just perfectly!

We ended up chatting to a couple of guys who were down on a boat, "The Cat" from Nova Scotia and and between us, the music and the beer, we had an absolutely brilliant time! Unfortunately our hostel being where it is we decided not to risk having to get an expensive cab home and departed rather earlier than we would have liked.







On our way home we thought we'd try and get a few beers to take back with us. After all it was only 9pm. It seems that in Boston, trying to buy beer on a Sunday afternoon or evening is nearly impossible. We ended up asking if there was anywhere open and were taken to this homeless black guy who claimed to know of a place that was open but it was a subway trip away. His girlfriend meanwhile was on the phone asking around. This all seemed rather strange to me. Maybe they were desperate for a drink a thought we'd buy them one, my thoughts turned a lot more suspicious than this and in the e end all we wanted to do was leave! We would have liked another beer for sure, but not THAT badly! We saw our opportunity and ran like hell!

Back at the hostel we settled down to watch to watch the ballgame and play some poker, straws and sugar sachets as chips (you make do with what you can get!), just about getting a pizza in before time as well. The evening drifted on and with a train to Chicago to catch in the morning I retired to bed.

I'd liked Boston, not perhaps as much as I thought I might, but I had liked it. I'd met some great people again, had great fun and a few good stories to tell. I wished I'd been able to stay closer to town but thats life and I wouldn't have met the people I had if I'd been elsewhere, so maybe it worked out for the best. New place, new people tomorrow and a nice 24hr train journey ahead!

NB: Since I was there I believe that The Littlest Bar has been knocked down and being replaced by some development. Its a shame others wont get to experience this wonderful place and I'm sure those locals will miss it even more than me. In honour of a place that will be badly missed,I'd like to dedicate this post to The Littleast Bar.

No comments: