Wednesday 6 June 2007

Every Picture Tells A Story

My time in New York was flying past, I was having a great time, met some top people and had already seen a decent amount of what I'd wanted. Following a lazy day, hiding from the miserable weather, it was time to have another go at a museum. My first experience hadn't been the greatest but now at least I was going to where I had originally planned - The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Known generally as the Met, its possibly the single biggest indoor attraction in New York!

I wouldn't be going alone this time either. A night spent down the Irish Bar around the corner from the hostel had found me chatting to a very beautiful Finnish girl called Pilvi. I might have had trouble pronouncing her name but it didn't stop us getting on well. Consequently we had arranged to meet in the morning to go visit the Met together. Good as her word she was there on time and we set about finding the place.

Located up on 82nd and 5th it was a good subway trip away but boy was it worth it! Unlike the MOMA its a recommended admission so we both payed the student price of $10 instead of the full $20. Its worth every last dime as well! The place reminded me a lot of the British Museum in London. An eclectic mix of art and history. Together we spent a good few hours wondering around taking in some priceless works of art, names familiar (Rembrandts, Van Goghs, Monets) and not.

As we continued around, becoming dazzled and somewhat dazed with the amazing collection a source of amusement was growing between the two of us in the form of the painting titles. Childish and immature humour was ruling the roost as we began trying to name the pictures. Strange you may be thinking, and you'd be right but when you see a picture of a woman with a basket and the pictures is called "Woman with basket" you'll get the idea of the game. Somehow I don't think the place would have been the same without the company I had though.

We wound up walking back to the hostel. Yes, you heard me right the first time, its on 82nd and 5th. Some 60 blocks from where we were staying. Still a walk down through Central Park and back through Times Square, stopping for a slice or 2 of fine New York Pizza along the way and we were back home ready for a well earned rest!

That evening I'd put aside for an early one. I had a train to catch to Boston in the morning and had been a busy man for the last few days. This IS New York though and no one is going to let you get away with things THAT easily. I ended up being almost forcibly dragged to the bar that night. It was late, I was tired and I was honestly having trouble keeping my eyes open. I stayed for the one drink, then bolted for bed as fast as I could!

No comments: