Friday 8 June 2007

Buying a Brolly in Boston!

I'd been told whilst I was in New York that up Boston way they'd been experiencing some of the worst rains in years.. Was I worried about this? No, of course not! I mean, I'm English, we're used to the rain. This it seems was not ample preparation for what was about to hit me.

I'd arrived in the centre of town after navigating my way on the bus and subway before guessing my way from Haymarket station to where I ended up in Quincy Market. One of Boston's most famous landmarks was in reality, nothing more than a big food hall. Disappointed probably didn't cover it! Outside Quincy Market was where I first locked eyes on the red brick line of the Freedom Trail, marked out as route that takes in several of the important buildings around independence time. I was beginning to realise that without a map or guidebook of any description I had no idea which way to follow the red line or indeed what any of the buildings actually were! A quick stop in Borders fixed that, I had become the proud owner of the cheapest guide book in the world "Top 10 Boston".

So as I stepped out of Borders, guidebook in hand the skies just emptied! Within a few seconds I was soaked. Scrabbling to try and work out my best course of action I almost bumped into a man selling brollies. Now I'm not a bug umbrella fan, they're annoying, get in the way of others and always get ruined within about 5 minutes, still needs must so I shelled out the $5 an went on my merry way taking cover in Mass. State House.


After going through the various security checks I found myself alone and free to wonder. It was a strange feeling, there were so few tourists around, I bumped into more people that actually seemed to be working there that I had to question if I was really supposed to be here or in certain parts of the building. No one told me to leave so I continued walking and snapping until boredom and an urge to see if the rains had abated got the better of me.

The rain had abated enough for me to continue walking down Beacon Street to go grab a beer in the Original Cheers bar. Inside its completely different of course but I still had to stop off an enjoy a pint of Sam Adams (what else?!) before continuing on my way.


Rain had turned to sun as the afternoon crept on and the new beams of warmth had given me the desire to walk the freedom trail. Now with guidebook in hand, things were a lot easier. I'd found my way to the starting point and managed the first 8 of the 11 suggested places along the way. Not too bad I say, and I feel now far more educated in the Boston Tea Party and such like than I ever was before.





Culture done it was time for a good night out! Fortunately for me a friend who lives here in Boston had got hold of me in the afternoon, saying she'd come and pick me up at the hostel later. Brilliant, time to get back, shower and relax a little before the night ahead!

No comments: